Thursday, September 1, 2011

A Wunderful Time

July 8th
Stop #5: WunderRosa Winery

We spent July 7th celebrating Katherine's milestone birthday in Irish fashion by hitting up a few Irish pubs and going to the Dropkick Murphy concert in Omaha. The next day, we continued our celebration by switching from Irish Car Bombs back to wine.

The most challenging aspect of completing the Nebraska Wine Tour is that most of the vineyards and wineries are only open on the weekends. Neither Katherine nor I have nine to five weekday jobs, so it's always a struggle to coordinate and resume our tour.

Luckily, the people running the vineyards are typically very accommodating, and Linda at WunderRosa Winery in Roca is no different. I called the day before and asked if we would be able to come by a bit before she regularly opens. She agreed, which left us plenty of time for a tasting before Katherine had to get back on the road for home.

Roca is only about ten minutes outside of Lincoln, but we left early to allow time for us to get lost, which is always a probability when I'm driving and Katherine is navigating. However, we kept on track and were even earlier than we thought we'd be - but we weren't the only ones. A group of four had arrived right before us, so opening early seemed to work out well for everyone.

While we didn't get to talk with Linda for very long before she went out into the field, we did get to chat with her intern, Brandy. Like us, Brandy is fairly new to the world of wine, and is trying to make her way to as many local wineries as possible as well. Brandy has her own blog about her experiences, and was actually my inspiration for starting a blog of my own. Brandy also mentioned that harvest season was quickly approaching, which gave me an idea...

Wouldn't it be a great experience to be a part of the grape harvest?

As we left, my thoughts were of harvesting and crushing grapes, and of how I could get into it.

Favorites: Capitol View Red and 2010 HR Blush

WunderRosa Winery's Website

1 comment:

  1. I grow grapes; they're on a big vine that drapes across my balcony. Once they start to get more plentiful, I want to look at making my own wine (I brew my own beer, so I'm not just saying that to be cute. I really do).

    Also, that Irish birthday party sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete